Home > Uncategorized > Zimbabwe (continued)

Zimbabwe (continued)

  I arrived in Livingstone mid-afternoon and, as always, the bus was met by taxi drivers.  One asked if I needed a taxi and I said I did and that I was going to the border (about 10-12 kms), he said the price was 80,000.  Keep in mind the bus I just got off was 90,000 for 470kms!!  I told him I wasn’t a tourist and would pay 30,000 (which is quite generous).  He said, 40,000 and then another taxi driver said “I’ll take you for 30,000” so I went with him.  The original driver didn’t seem to mind as he strategy seemed to be to try and find tourists who didn’t know any better.  Customs and Immigration was quick and then I walked across the bridge that connects Zambia and Zimbabwe and overlooks Victoria Falls (seen in the photo below). 


  As it was the end of the rainy season, the volume of water going over the falls was great so I wasn’t really able to see the falls themselves.  I even got a bit wet as I walked across.   The baboons are ever present as the climb on all of the trucks waiting to cross looking for food.   The town of Victoria Falls is right across the bridge so I was able to walk right to town.  The next challenge is finding a reasonably priced place to stay.  In Zimbabwe the buses run from a hotel in one city to the same hotel in another city (normally) so I was to catch the bus at a fancy hotel at 7:00am the next morning.  I didn’t even try that place as the rooms were $200 a night and found a room a backpackers lodge for $35.  The food was very good and the room was fine (on African standards).  The next morning I walked to the fancy hotel and got on the “luxury” bus.  The word luxury is overused in Zambia… nearly every lodge is a luxury lodge and every tent a luxury tent.  In this case, it really was luxury.  They served complementary water and pop and even gave out sandwiches.  The seats were nice and wide and there was a bathroom on board.  As is usual, the route began and ended with prayer but thankfully no sermon.

  The route passes a national park called Hwange and the bus turned toward the park and stopped at a lodge for a 10 minute break and to pick up some additional passengers.  Even though we didn’t enter the park, I was still excited for the chance to see some wildlife.  As it was late morning, there wasn’t much happening but I did see a few antelope at the watering hole.  The rest of the ride was smooth and arrived mid-afternoon on Sunday, ready to begin the work the next morning. 

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. June 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

    So glad to hear that you are doing well and hope to hear from you soon.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: